Science Professional Learning Specialist
Position:Science Professional Learning Specialist
Location: NYC area
**This is a part-time position that will require travel**
In partnership with the Lawrence Hall of Science (University of California, Berkeley), our client’s science product was created as a brand new, research-driven, digitally enhanced curriculum for Grades K-8 that comprehensively addresses the vision described in the NRC Framework for K-12 Science Education, including the three dimensions of the Next Generation Science Standards.
Students inhabit the role of scientists and engineers throughout each unit.?Through rich, multi-modal experiences and authentic problem-solving, our client’s Science will help teachers develop the next generation of students to be critical scientists and thoughtful citizens.
Our Specialists deliver Professional Learning experiences and workshops that assist districts, schools, and teachers in planning for and implementing high-quality science instruction aligned to the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) as well as New York State Learning Standards (NYSLS).
Your job will be to teach and coach teachers who are using our client’s Science products in their classrooms. Your goal will be to help them make the Science Implementation a success in their classrooms inspiring high engagement and significant student learning.
We are looking for people who enjoy connecting with adult learners and care about impacting education; who has the ability to travel, handle multiple projects/schools and are team players.
Responsibilities of the Science Specialist
- Travel to NYC schools regularly to deliver services and build strong academic relationships
- Maintain knowledge and expertise in K-8 science trends ?
- Work with teachers/administrators to align the Science curriculum with NYC school/ ?district curriculum objectives ?
- Facilitate Professional Learning workshops for groups of up to 30 teachers
- Conduct coaching sessions (in-person and remote) for up to 6 teachers and/or ?leadership team members
- Demonstrate strong andragogical, pedagogical, content and technology integration ?knowledge in workshops and classroom settings
- Conduct remote Professional Learning workshops for up to 10 teachers
- Troubleshoot Professional Learning needs and requests ?
- Collaborate with Professional Learning Lead within assigned borough ?
- Provide coaching support to individual and small groups of classroom teachers by modeling, co-teaching, observing, and providing focused feedback. ?
- Analyze student work and formative assessment data (anecdotal and program data) to ?provide coaching support around instructional decision-making and responsiveness to ?learner outcomes ?
- Coach NYC school leadership teams to draft and facilitate professional learning plans ?using relevant data such as survey, observation, performance and/or program usage ?reports ?
- Articulate and apply effective strategies that enhance equity of learning for diverse ?student populations; experience with Students with Disabilities and English Learners ?
- Maintain current information regarding status of implementation of assigned NYC ?schools for internal and external reporting inclusive of daily and quarterly reporting ?
- Actively participate in team meetings and internal training opportunities
- Demonstrate understanding and compassion for the role of the teacher/s and their comfort with technology integration in the classroom ?
- Collaborate with and maintain a highly effective customer service relationship with Lawrence Hall of Science and other stakeholders ?
- Able to lift up to 20 lbs (transporting and demonstrating labs from science kits)
- NYC- Travel required ?
Basic Qualifications ?
- Master’s Degree of Education ?
- Experience delivering professional development for teachers; coaching experience ?
- Passionate about Science and knowledge of NGSS ?
- 7+ years of effective classroom teaching experience in elementary classrooms?
- 7+ years of effective staff development experience with elementary teachers ?
- 3+ years of K-8 classroom Science teaching experience?
- Demonstrated expertise with the science program resources ?
- Experience working in large, urban school districts ?
- Demonstrated ability to receive feedback and adapt practice based upon the feedback ?
- Demonstrated ability to model lessons and coach teachers as they practice with the ?strategies that were demonstrated ?
- Ability to convey expertise and inspire participants to join into the work of the session ?
- Demonstrated ability to defuse typically difficult situations that may arise in a PD
- ELL background ?
- Proven knowledge of current Science instruction and NGSS / NYSLS
- Instructional leadership experience in large urban district ?
- Experience analyzing data and using it to inform practice ?
- Curriculum Development Experience ?
- Current Licensure ?
- Biliteracy a plus (Spanish) ?
Job Status: Part Time